Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Roti Jala : Malaysian Lacy Crepes

My parents are coming over to spend the night over at my house today. This is their first time staying for the night at my house since I got married. So I thought I'd cook something special for lunch tomorrow.


Since Mommy loves roti jala (lacy pancakes) and Dad loves my beef rendang, I guess I'll cook roti jala and beef rendang for lunch tomorrow.


Roti Jala Recipe
(Lacy Pancakes)

These pancakes are served with gulai kambing or other rich, dry curries and form a substantial snack that is almost a meal.

Ingredients : Makes about 12 pancakes
2
2 3/4 cups
2 cups
1/2 teaspoon
2 tablespoons
Eggs
Coconut milk or fresh milk
Plain flour, sifted
Salt
Oil for frying

Method :
Beat eggs thoroughly, add milk and mix.
Put flour and salt into a large bowl and add the liquid steadily, pouring it into the middle of the flour while mixing with a wooden spoon.
Do not add liquid too slowly at first or it will be difficult to get rid of the lumps.
When all the liquid has been added, beat until batter is smooth.
Heat a heavy omelet pan or pancake pan and grease lightly with apiece of kitchen paper dipped in oil.
Pour batter into pan, moving the ladle back and forth so that the pancake will have a perforated appearance.
Cook until set and pale golden underneath, then turn and cook other side.
Continue until all the batter is used up.
If batter thickens on standing, add a little water and stir well.
I'll cook some Bubur Cha Cha too. I'll the post the recipe later ;)
Photo : cakcibur.fotopages.com