Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Paris The City of Love

I once had the opportunity to visit Paris during my heydays as an Executive with a private television station. After completing my assignment in Africa, I decided to extend my stay abroad and took a short trip up north to Europe. I have heard a lot of stories from people who have visited France before and I have been advised to do my study on france hotels to get the best deal for my budget.

Paris, city of romance and full of history was my first destination. Traveling alone and with a shoe string budget, I’ve decided to ask the locals for the best paris hotels available and after getting all the information that I can, I decided to check into this place called the Printania Hotel Paris 20 in Paris. It’s a 2-Star hotel located at the most typical Parisian street. There were local public transport nearby which made it easier for me to get around the city.



The next day, I took my first sightseeing trip. The Eiffel Tower was my first choice. France’s iconic iron tower, built by Gustave Eiffel was a sight of wonder & one of the most recognizable structures in the world. Ascend to the top either by stairs or elevator and you could cast your eyes on a breathtaking view of the French capital. And when you are in Paris, you must go to The Louvre. It is the oldest, most famous art galleries & museums in the world. It used to house many great art works such as Leonardo Da Vincci’s Mona Lisa, Madonna of The Rocks, as well as many others. It is one of the most visited museums in the world.




My next activity on my list was taking the trip into the wineries. The town of Reims is the capital of the champagne region and produces sparkling wine, champagne, known the world over. It was a walking tour though the cathedrals and the cellars. We were advised to dress warmly for the wine cellars were cold. I was also fortunate to visit the prestigious Moet and Chandon wine cellar as well in Epernay.

I also had the chance to visit the Rhone Alpes. With the high mountain regions to the east which have borders with Switzerland and Italy, the river Rhone valley in the centre and the hills of the Ardeche to the west. The Alps are well known for skiing but also offer destinations for the summer with the rivers and lakes.


The River cruise is another attraction one should not miss. Be sure to try out the River Seine Cruise and Paris Illuminations Tour. The river cruises start on the river Seine followed by a tour of Paris, the "City of Lights" including Place de la Concorde Square, Place Vendome, Opera, Champs-Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, Trocadero, Invalides, Notre-Dame, Place du Chatelet. It’s an experience you will remember for life.

Paris is such a beautiful and romantic city and there are so many nice hotels available for you to choose. I am thinking of going there for our second honeymoon.