Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ayam Rangup (Ter)Golek

I'm not too sure why but my mouth has been salivating over chicken roast for a week! And the fact that I couldn't find anywhere in KL/PJ area any restaurant that sells really good delicious juicy chicken roast (unlike the one I had back in Ipoh), I have decided that tonight, chicken roast I shall cook.

Though bear in mind that the only thing that I have successfully created in the kitchen is...fire. So my culinary skills in pretty much non-existence.

Mr. Frankensteina even asked me if we should be replacing the mini fire extinguisher that we have in the house when I told him of my pursuit of a juicy delicious tender crispy chicken roast. I take that as his reverse-psychology tactic crap that he uses on me most of the time. I know he wants me to cook chicken roast.

Anyway, since morning I have been surfing the net for an easy, delicious, juicy, foolproof chicken roast recipe and so far this is the best that I found


CRISP ROAST CHICKEN

Ingredients (serves 4)
2kg free-range chicken
1 lemon, quartered
1 bunch thyme
50g butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil
675g chat potatoes
steamed carrots and peas, to serve



Method
Preheat oven to 220°C. Remove excess fat from chicken cavity. Wipe chicken inside and out with paper towels (see tip). Select a roasting pan with sides 4cm high.
Place lemon and thyme in chicken cavity. Tie chicken legs together with un-waxed string and tuck neck flap and wings underneath. Combine butter and oil in a small bowl. Brush over both sides chicken. Place, breast side down, on a greased roasting rack in pan. Roast for 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until almost tender. Drain. Return potatoes to saucepan. Cover to keep warm. Remove chicken from oven. Turn over and baste with butter mixture. Arrange potatoes around chicken. Brush with butter mixture.
Roast both for a further 37 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken thigh pierced with a skewer. Cover and stand for 15 minutes to rest. Carve chicken and serve with potatoes and steamed vegetables.

Notes & tips
Tip: Don't rinse chicken - the skin has natural oils that keep it moist during cooking.

Source
Super Food Ideas - August 2006 , Page 72
Recipe by Janelle Bloom

Oy my mouth is watering already! And it's pretty easy. I just need to throw some carrot and grilled tomatoes or perhaps some broccolis yummy yums.

Wish me luck people!