Thursday, October 25, 2007

Berdegil Membuat Bergedil (Hahaha!) "I'm Making Bergedil"

Before I got married, I am the laziest when it comes to cooking. I mean I would just grab fast food (not healthy I know) or I would just buy my meals from restaurants or I would go to my parent’s place (heheheh). Nothing beats mommy’s cooking *slurp*

Truth is, I just couldn’t care less whether or not I eat my breakfast, lunch, dinner or what time I eat my breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some days, I would only have one meal and some days I would be eating non-stop.

But ever since I got married, I try to cook on a regular basis. It could be as simple as scrambled eggs with toast or as complicated as ‘nasik kerabu’ (it is complicated to me). Thank goodness Mr Frankie is not a fussy eater. He would eat just pretty much anything I cook (bless you darling). He too has been helping me in the kitchen with the slicing and the dicing and washing dishes. Our kitchen time is now our ‘together time’ which is fun because we would experiment with recipes or come up with our own. And it’s such a joy to see Mr Frankie enjoying the food that I prepared. My mom told me that no matter how busy you are, you must cook for your husband.

I would whip up something Western if I’m in a hurry and I’ll do Malay(sian) dishes when I have the time. This weekend, I am going to cook Bergedil (Potato Patties). My dad call it 'gedeber' though hahaha! Anyway, bergedil s so easy to make and very yummy too! :)




Potato Patties

Ingredients

4 medium local potatoes, peeled

1 tbsp dried shrimps, washed

1/2 tsp dark peppercorns

1 small egghandful of breadcrumbs

pinch of salt

1 egg + water for coating

Oil for deep frying


Method

1. Steamed potatoes, mashed them and put aside


2. Fry fried shrimps till crispy, drained and put aside


3. Roast black peppercorns and mix it with the fried dried shrimps


4. Blend the shrimps and black pepper till fine


5. Add the shrimp mixture and salt into the mashed potato and mix till well incorporated


6. Add egg and breadcrumbs slowly and mix. The texture must not be too soft.


7. Heat oil in wok


8. Shaped potatoes into balls and flatten them a little


9. Dip into egg mixture and deep fry till golden brown


Note: If mixture is too soft, keep it in the fridge for about 15 mins before shaping.

Recipe & picture courtesy of www.quickandeasy.blogspot.com

If time is what you don't have, I suggest Bergedil as it is just so simple and quick to do and you can eat it with bread or rice or you can dip it in chili sauce or even mayonnaise.

Yummy yums!